Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Blueberry Banana Bread

Hey there,
   I think it was around last year when I was flipping through Sunset Magazine and I came across a recipe called Blueberry Banana Bread. First of all I love Banana Bread and I thought that this recipe was a great new twist to a classic recipe. I just had to try it!
  I even put my own twist on the recipe so I'll write the recipe I use or you can go to the link above to use the original. I didn't adapt the recipe much.
   I made it today because well I am bored because I am on spring break! and the bread is delicious and my family loves it!


Blueberry Banana Bread





Ingredients

  • 1 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed and drained, or frozen blueberries
  • 2 cups plus one tablespoon all-purpose flour 
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar 
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3)
  • 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
  • 6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled 
  • large egg 
  • Oatmeal Streusel (Topper on Bread)
    • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 
    • 1/4 cup regular rolled oats
    • 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
    • 2 tablespoons butter, cut into chunks 
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • Preparation

      1. 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
      2. 2. In a small bowl, gently mix blueberries with 1 tablespoon of the flour.
      3. 3. In another bowl, blend remaining 2 cups flour, the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
      4. 4. In a third, large bowl, whisk bananas, buttermilk, butter, and egg to blend. Stir flour mixture into banana mixture just until evenly moistened; the batter will be stiff. Gently stir in blueberry mixture.
      5. 5. Spread batter level in a buttered 5- by 9-inch loaf pan. Sprinkle with oatmeal streusel and press in lightly.
      6. 6. Bake bread in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 60 to 70 minutes.
      7. 7. Let bread cool in pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then run a knife around edges to loosen. Invert bread onto a plate, remove pan, and turn over onto rack to cool completely, about 45 minutes.
      8. Oatmeal Streusel Preparation
      9. In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup each all-purpose flour, regular rolled oats, and chopped dried banana chips; 2 tablespoons each firmly packed brown sugar and butter, cut into chunks; and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Mix with your fingers until fine crumbs form.

      There is the recipe I use. The only thing that I leave out from the original is the dried banana chips. And it is only because I couldn't find them at my local store. So now I just don't use them. 

      Fun Fact: A buttermilk substitution: 1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup milk and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. The reason I say this is because this time when I made the blueberry banana bread I didn't have any buttermilk on hand and I didn't want to go to the store. So my lovely mom told me this substitution and I think it is a valuable one. And you cant even tell a difference once the bread is done.


      Has anyone tried this recipe or something similar to it? What are you thoughts on the recipe? Any suggestions for me, I love to try new foods!

      Here are some pictures from my experience:)Taken by Me!








      I hope you enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the wonderful comment. I read and enjoy every single one. Have a question for me, I will reply as soon as I can. Love , Carlee