Thursday, March 29, 2018

Palm Sunday at the Vatican!

We had a once in a lifetime opportunity to spend Palm Sunday at the Vatican and listen to Pope Francis give Holy Mass! It was honestly one of my favorite things I have ever done. It was all in Italian of course but it was magical just the same. Everyone was just so happy to be there and see the Pope and witness the magic of Palm Sunday at the Vatican. We actually got to take the trip with our USO here on base in Naples. They provided bus transportation and the tickets. The tickets are complete free but you have to request them enough in advance as it is really busy and a rather popular event but since we did it through the USO they did all of that for us and riding the bus up to Rome was awesome because we got to sleep on the way there and the way back.
We arrived early enough to get seats really close to the front and have a great view of the procession and the front alter. There was people from all walks of life there. Some other Americans, lost of Spanish people, people from Peru, Australia, Argentina, etc and we sat next to some people from a children's hospital. It was really cool to see so many people come together and celebrate. At one point during the service I whispered to Clark "isn't it crazy we are here!" Only in my crazy dreams and aspirations did I think I would get to experience such cool events. 
After the service the Pope rode around on this Il Papa Mobile (the father's car) and that is when we actually got the best view of him. Besides he looked much happier riding and waving to the crowds in that than when he was walking the procession. And he is literally like a rockstar, people are yelling him name and reaching out for him and trying to get a photo or just a glimpse of him. I enjoy the people in the background of my photos looking at the Pope just as much as I enjoy seeing the Pope. 
We then had a little time to lunch and gelato before our bus headed back to Naples. We ate lunch at La Soffitta Renovatio in Rome just a few blocks from the Vatican City. I had the four cheese pizza and Clark had the repieno (which is basically just a giant calzone) and I can honestly say it was one of the best pizzas I have had here in Italy. We also stopped for gelato at Gelateria Del Monte which was very yummy. It was a really good day in Rome and we had great weather as well. Not too hot or too cold and the sun was shinning. 
love, Carlee
Coat: H&M
Shirt: NEX
Cardigan: Target
Jeans: Old Navy
Shoes: Nike

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the wonderful comment. I read and enjoy every single one. Have a question for me, I will reply as soon as I can. Love , Carlee