Sunday, August 19, 2018

Helsinki Day 2-3

My second day in Helsinki I spent it mostly on foot. I went from my hostel along the Esplanadi park and stopped at Strindberg cafe for some brunch. I had a club sandwich with potato chips. Then I made my way to the Helsinki Cathedral and it is magnificent and in a great location and just marvelous to look at. The inside was quite simple but the organs were very cool. I people watched for a while and there was a girl running up and down the steps for exercise! I was like holy cow she is killing it. After I walked through the Kauppatori open market on my way to get a ferry ticket to Suomenlinna which is a sea fortress island. I got my ticket and went to get some ice cream at a stand that was nearby.



Okay guys so I walk up to the stand and order two scoops of ice cream which ended up being 5.50 euro I payed the lady and she gave me my change and my ice cream and I took 2 steps to the side to get out of the way and put the change in my wallet when a seagull came out of the sky and knocked off both of my ice cream scoops I was in shock haha. I threw my ice cream cone down for them to have to and walked away. I am sure people watching were dying laugh. I didn’t look haha. So embarrassing / sad I sent money on ice cream I didn’t get to eat. 



I then got on the ferry to Suomenlinna. The ferry is a quick 30 minute ride with good views of other surrounding islands and Helsinki harbor. I spent quite a bit of time on the island walking around and exploring the military fortress and getting some more ice cream and protecting it and being hyper aware of where the birds were;) my favorite part was the military bunkers that looked like hobbit houses. It was a beautiful day to explore and it was so much less crowded than the city center so it was a nice change of pace.



When I got back to the city I checked out Uspenski Cathedral. Then made my way to Karl Fazer cafe where I got the yummiest sweet butter bun. On my way back to my hostel I came across the coolest brass band. They were doing an awesome street performance and I stayed and watched until they were finished, they were really great. That is one of the things I loved most about Helsinki the liveliness and not knowing that the next street corner had in store for you. Also everyone was so nice!


I went to Taco Bell in the evening because it was easy and right across from my hostel. The next day was my last day in Helsinki and I didn’t have a ton of time since I was catching a ferry to Tallinn, Estonia but I did happen to eat some breakfast at Ekberg which had great cinnamon buns and smoothies! I also got to walk around the flea market and got some vintage Finland stamps. My grandma gave me a huge stamp collect of hers and so now when I see old stamps for sale in different countries I get them. I used to only get Christmas ornaments as souvenirs but I realized I will need about 1000 Xmas trees to hold all the ornaments if I keep it up. I then made my way to the port where I spotted the funniest peeing statue. So great! I was then off to Estonia. Also I took Tallink ferry line and it was very easy and very comfortable totally recommend.
love, Carlee
Tank: Old Navy
Shoes: Nike
Sunglasses: Firmoo
Shorts: NEX

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the wonderful comment. I read and enjoy every single one. Have a question for me, I will reply as soon as I can. Love , Carlee