Saturday, August 20, 2016

Temples of Neptune, Hera and Athena

Greek history and mythology is our love language. Clark absolutely loves anything that has to do with the Ancient Greeks so we just knew we had to visit modern day Paestum once known as Poseidonia. The Greek Empire ruled over much of modern day southern Italy and the Ancient Greek town of Poseidonia (Paestum, Italy) is home to beautiful historic Ancient Greek ruins and three of the most well preserved Greek temples in the world! And it is only 1 hour and 30 minutes from Naples. 
In all honesty, it is my favorite thing we have seen so far. Someone told us in orientation the first week we were here that you should have your top 5 places within a 5 hour radius so when people come to visit you know the first and most important places to take them. And this is my number one place now, pushing out the Amalfi Coast for the top spot. We bought tickets when we arrived and headed straight for the archaeological site (the ruins and temples.) We saw the temple of Athena first which is amazing. While there were a few other people wandering the grounds for a Sunday afternoon we basically had the place to ourselves which is another reason I think I enjoyed it so much. It wasn’t crowed! 
From the Temple of Athena we made our way over to the other temples but stopped along the way to see the pool, meeting area, town entrance with stone archway, residential area, original cobblestone streets, thermal baths, etc. Then we arrived at the Temple of Neptune and saw that there were people inside the temple exploring and we literally freaked out from excitement. I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would actually be able to step foot inside a Greek temple they are usually very strict about preserving sites and making sure no one goes into the temples so this was amazing. It is colossal and massive once inside and we were absolutely amazed at the architecture, skill, and man power it took to creature such a beautiful building and I am so glad they made them to last so I have the opportunity to enjoy them and marvel in there wonder. 

I have plenty more post lined up unfortunately the internet is kind of spotty so I don't know how consistent I will be. Hopefully it will get better and better though. 
love,Carlee
Dress: TJ Maxx
Shoes: Belk
Sunglasses: Target
Purse: JCPennys

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the wonderful comment. I read and enjoy every single one. Have a question for me, I will reply as soon as I can. Love , Carlee