Wednesday, January 27, 2016

The Sellout : Paul Beatty

First book I read in 2016. It actually took me like a month to read which is my fault not the books. I started reading it at the end of 2015 and I took it home with me to Washington for xmas and I thought I would read it on the plane but I didn't. So I just sat in my backpack the whole time we were home then I got back from WA in early January and got really sick so it sat on my nightstand for a while without being cracked open again. But I finally felt better and blew through the second half of the book.

I picked out this book to read because NY Times voted this one of the best books of 2015. I read the description and was like that sounds like something I might like to read. I checked my local library and they had it in stock and I was like, that's the next book I am reading.

I liked the book a lot. It is a satirical book but it still makes you think about issues going on in the world and America right now. It is about a black man that segregates his hometown (right outside Los Angeles) so that all blacks and other minorities go to one school and whites aren't allowed etc. Even though it is a satirical piece it raises some really good questions about how we treat people of different/ all races in todays society. I liked it a lot. I also like how he doesn't shy away from writing a book about race. It's a good read. Go read it.

Here is a good review about the book on NPR. The New York Times writes an article about the book as well.

Last year I just updated one blog post about all the books I read but this year I think I will blog about each book because let's be real I am not blogging much anyway so it's not like I will be filing my blog fead with too much. haha. Also I got this idea from Les and she is killing in with the books this January I think she has read 5 or 6 so far this year and I have read 1. Gahhhhhhh I need to get with it.
love, Carlee

1 comment:

  1. ahhh! thanks for the shout out!
    im just as surprised im reading as much as i am!!!
    cant wait to see what else you read! (:

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the wonderful comment. I read and enjoy every single one. Have a question for me, I will reply as soon as I can. Love , Carlee