St. Croix fun facts and stuff
- There used to be 300+ stone sugar mills on the island when there was lots of sugarcane growing. Now there are only 120 still standing which is still a lot.
- There are only 5 types of wildlife on the island. Wild horses, boars, deer, mongoose, and iguanas. Also there are geckos, crabs, tons of other sea life (but those don’t count according to our tour guide haha.)
-There is a national guard base on the island.
- Point Udall on the eastern side of the island is the most eastern point in the United States of America.
- One side of the island is rain forest (the west) while the eastern side is desert.
- Christopher Columbus landed on the island. It was his second trip across the Atlantic in 1493 and he landed in salt river bay in St. Croix so this was technically the only place in the USA where Christopher Columbus actually stepped foot.
-The end of the movie Shawshank Redemption was filmed at Sandy Point in St. Croix although it’s suppose to be Mexico haha
- Sandy Point is a critical nesting habitat for the endangered leatherback sea turtle.
- The Dutch brought over yellow and red brick and that’s why still today the fort at Christiansted is yellow and the fork at Frederiksted is red.
My shirt: Old Navy
Hat: Forever 21
Sunglasses: TJ Maxx
PS. Notice how my hair is dry at the beginning and wet at the end. Yeah, I jumped off the pier! haha