Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Cape Hatteras Lighthouse

This is Cape Hatteras Lighthouse and this was the last stop we made on our drive down the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. This is also my last post from our little getaway. This lighthouse stands 210 feet tall making it the tallest brick lighthouse in the United States. This lighthouse was built in 1868 but in 1999 it had to be moved from its original location along the beach to about .5 miles inland to avoid land erosion and destruction of the lighthouse. The once red paint along the base is now worn off to a pink and there are a few chips in the paint on the body. But I like it that way. I like seeing historical buildings/monuments as they are today. Worn by the years of standing rather then restored to look like the day they were built. Is that weird?
There were quiet a bit more people visiting this lighthouse then the Bodie Island Lighthouse. I think it might have been because you have to drive a couple miles off the main road for the Bodie Island Lighthouse and this one you kind of just came up on. Also it might be because this lighthouse seems to be more of a state landmark than the other one. This lighthouse also had a gift shop which I was pleased about. I stopped and got a couple postcards to send back home as well as a Christmas ornament. My mom has always collected Christmas ornaments from places we went on vacation and I am gonna do the same thing. I would much rather have a souvenir/memory from a trip hanging on my tree then some cheap plastic ornaments that don't mean much so it'll be a fun thing to start collecting.
This trip we went on was tons of fun and even though it was just for a couple of days it was much needed. Isn't nice just to get a way for a couple days. I hope to be able to do a trip of this sorts once a month. I don't think that is reaching to much. Next month is my birthday and Valentines day so I am sure we'll do something fun and then March my mom is coming to visit so we have to take a trip and show her some sites. I am excited.
love, Carlee
Shoes: Nordstrom Rack
Sweater: Forever 21
Jeans: Old Navy
Shirt: Target
Sunglasses: gift from Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the wonderful comment. I read and enjoy every single one. Have a question for me, I will reply as soon as I can. Love , Carlee