Friday, January 24, 2014

Cliffs of the Neuse

Over the weekend we headed out to the country for a drive and ended up at Cliffs of the Neuse State Park. Well we actually knew we were headed there but the drive was fun to. It was about an hour away from our house and the country side was beautiful on the drive there. We saw swamps, ponds, horses, cows, fields, barns, and farms. Another thing I have noticed about the south is there are cemeteries along the country roads and sometimes even in fields. I think I counted 5-7 along the road that was only 50 miles. In the west you don't see that much. Of course all the cemeteries are fenced and gated so they aren't damaged by tractors and trucks. I still think it would be so odd to buy or own property with a few tombstones on it.
So back to the state park. Cliffs of the Neuse is a state park in North Carolina along the Neuse River. There is camping, swimming, hiking, and fishing allowed in the park. During the spring I really want to go camping. We already have a air mattress and sleeping bags. But we do need a tent. I remember really great memories with my family camping in the summer. I think Knox would love it. And I love sitting around a campfire eating hot dogs and smores'. The cliffs weren't actually visible when we went because the river was to high. Even one of the trails was flooding and completely underwater so we couldn't walk the whole thing which was a little disappointing. Knox enjoyed jumping in the water which is why he is wet in some of these photos. Also we were surprised that Knox even got in the water. We thought he wasn't a water dog but maybe he is. 
One the way back from the park we went right through the town Mt. Olive which you southern folk know is a well known pickle brand and company. So we stopped by the factory and got to see where the magic is made. Unfortunately they don't do tours anymore because of food safety and what not. But it was still a fun stop. There were quite a few people at this park enjoying the sites and some people just seemed to be exercising. I hope everyone had a great Friday and I am excited for more adventures this weekend! Like I always say Sunday is adventure day. 
love, Carlee
Leggings: Nike
Shoes: Nordstrom Rack
Shirt: Old Navy
Vest: gift from Clark (North Face)
Scarf: old
Sunglasses: Target

3 comments:

  1. Wow such a beautiful day! I love crisp days. Also cute pup :)

    www.dancingthroughsunday.typepad.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get you about feeling weird about owning properties with burials. So creepy but incredibly interesting! I love the historical aspect of it but then again hundreds of years old corpses just give me the heebee geebees.

    I love the photos you've taken of this place. Seriously, why cant we have such beautiful trails like that through here? Knox looks like one happy baby too, since he gets to explore it;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dog is so beautiful!!! We love camping in North Carolina. Such a beautiful area. Thanks for sharing your pictures. :0)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the wonderful comment. I read and enjoy every single one. Have a question for me, I will reply as soon as I can. Love , Carlee