Wednesday, February 3, 2016

The only Banana Bread recipe you'll ever need

This is seriously the only banana bread recipe you'll ever need. It's so good. It is an adaption of this blueberry banana bread recipe which was the first recipe I ever shared on my blog! Craziness huh almost 4 years ago? I use this banana bread recipe every time I make banana bread, it's like once you find that perfect recipe for something you don't go away from it because there is no need to fix something that isn't broken! Anyways, I used a buttermilk substitute on this particular loaf of bread because I didn't have any buttermilk. I noted below in the ingredients what the substitute is. 
Ingredients
2 cups flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3)
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
(SUBSTITUTE for buttermilk: 1/2 milk cup and 1 teaspoon lemon juice)
6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
large egg 

Oatmeal Streusel (Topper on Bread)
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 
  • 1/4 cup regular rolled oats
  • 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
    • 2 tablespoons butter, cut into chunks 
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • Preparation

  • 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
  • 2. In another bowl, blend 2 cups flour, the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
  • 3. In a third, large bowl, whisk bananas, buttermilk, butter, vanilla and egg to blend. Stir flour mixture into banana mixture just until evenly moistened; the batter will be stiff. 
  • 4. Spread batter level in a buttered 5- by 9-inch loaf pan. Sprinkle with oatmeal streusel and press in lightly.
  • 5. Bake bread in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 60 to 70 minutes.
  • 6. Let bread cool in pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then run a knife around edges to loosen. Invert bread onto a plate, remove pan, and turn over onto rack to cool completely, about 45 minutes.

  • Oatmeal Streusel Preparation
  • In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup each all-purpose flour, regular rolled oats, and chopped dried banana chips; 2 tablespoons each firmly packed brown sugar and butter, cut into chunks; and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Mix with your fingers until fine crumbs form.

  • I love my banana bread completely cooled with a thin layer of butter on top with a nice glass of milk!  Also it should be noted that I always do the oatmeal streusel on top so I can't speak for the bread without the streusel! 
  • love, Carlee 

1 comment:

  1. I am a sucker for banana bread!! I have a really simple one made with coconut oil that I have been using for the past year or so, but that oatmeal streusel sold me so I just might try yours next!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the wonderful comment. I read and enjoy every single one. Have a question for me, I will reply as soon as I can. Love , Carlee